The stage 4 and 5 Science syllabus is broken into four distinct fields of study: Living World (Biology), Chemical World (Chemistry), Earth and Space Science and the Physical World (Physics). Students will be introduced to each of these fields over junior years in the hope that they will go on to study one or more of them at the HSC level.
- acquire scientific knowledge and skills and develop understanding about phenomena within and beyond their experience
- develop an appreciation of science as a human activity and apply their understanding to their everyday life.
Year 8 Sequence of Topics:
1. Elements, Compounds and Mixtures Elements, Compounds and Mix (pdf 69 KB)
2. The Changing Earth The Changing Earth (pdf 73 KB)
1. The Changing Earth continued
2. Ecosystems Ecosystems (pdf 66 KB)
1. Chemical Change Chemical Change (pdf 68 KB)
2. Energy Energy (pdf 72 KB)
1. Functioning Organisms Functioning Organisms (pdf 113 KB)
Year 8 Assessment tasks:
Term 1. Weighting = 25%
Term 2. Weighting = 25%
Term 3. Weighting = 25%
Term 4. Weighting = 25%