What is Middle School?
Since 2020, Concord High School has implemented the Middle School Program for Year 7 students. This is a curriculum structure designed to support a positive transition for students from Year 6 into Year 7.
In Year 7 you learn the following subjects- Humanities, STEM, Health, Languages, Music and Technology.
To enable a more effective primary-secondary transition, the initiatives of the Middle School program involve:
- combining english, history and geography into a cross-curricular program called Humanities.
- combining mathematics and science into a cross-curricular program called STEM.
- cross-curricular programming and project-based learning experiences for Humanities and STEM.
- a “home room” for each Year 7 class where their Humanities, STEM, Health and Languages lessons are held.
- a Mentor Teacher (either the Humanities or STEM teacher) for each Year 7 class as the first point of contact for academic issues, wellbeing issues and pastoral care, for both students and parents.
- a structured program of student voice, student leadership, goal setting and reflection led by Mentor Teachers.